Summer is officially here, and that means it’s getting hot, hot, hot outside! Here are five quick tips for staying cool in your home.
- If temperatures are cooler in the evening, open windows and doors to allow cooler air in and cool the home.
- In the morning, close windows, blinds and shades to keep the home darker and cooler.
- Close or angle window blinds upward to keep the sun from shining directly in and heating the home.
- Set the thermostat at 78 degrees when you are home and 85 degrees when you are away.
- Clean the HVAC system so it’s running efficiently. Everyday activities in the home and office produce contaminants, such as dander, dust and chemicals, which require an HVAC to work harder to heat and cool.
Sources: consumerenergycenter.org, nadca.com