Hutchinson Storm Damage Repair – How To Prepare
There are few places in the U.S that deal with the threat of tornados like Hutchinson, KS. Disaster restoration is a well-practiced art form in Tornado alley, and of course the most important part of dealing with a storm happens after the cyclone comes screaming through. When facing water damage caused by severe weather, consider these tips:
Recovering After Storm Damage
1. This is not a DIY project. Because damage from water and bacteria growth can begin within a few hours, water restoration is not something you should attempt alone. Trained water mitigation specialists will assist you with everything from proper structural drying techniques to post-damage carpet cleaning.
2. Remember that water and electricity do not mix. Never enter a room with standing water until the electricity has been turned off. Do not use a household vacuum to remove water from the home or business.
3. Move what you can. Save what has been untouched by water by moving dry items, like photos, paintings and collectibles to a safe, dry location. Lift your draperies off wet carpet, loop through a coat hanger and place the hanger on a drapery rod.
4. Punch holes in sagging ceilings to allow water to drain. Drilling holes in the walls, sheetrock and/or ceilings of your home or business allows moist air and trapped water to escape quickly and can prevent further damage and potential microbial growth.
5. Clean carpet, upholstery and other damaged furnishings. Depending on the extent of damage, carpet and carpet pad may need to be reinstalled or replaced. After reinstallation, carpet should be cleaned and deodorized by trained water restoration specialists.
After The Storm
If your phone still works, contact your insurance to send an agent to assess the damages. Then, proceed to take notes and photographs of any damages that you see. When the insurance agent arrives, share your notes along with any receipts you have for damaged or loss items.
ServiceMaster Cleaning & Restoration by Clean in a Wink disaster restoration crews will rapidly respond to your loss. Our 24/7/365 emergency cleanup services ensure you can depend on us to quickly restore your damaged property.