If cleaning out your home and truly getting organized were at the top of your New Year’s resolution list, take advantage of a cold winter weekend to deep clean and get a fresh start this year. January is National Get Organized Month, and a couple days now to clear the clutter will help you free up time to have fun this spring!
Here are five things you can do in just one weekend to help better organize your home – and your life.
- Gather important papers. Collect all the important papers from around your house, such as bills, school notes and invitations, and place them in a folder. Schedule a time each week to address them.
- Eliminate 10 items from your closet. Look through your clothes, shoes and accessories and select 10 things that don’t fit well, are out of style or you simply don’t wear. Donate them to a secondhand store or pass them along.
- Look at the next 30 days on your calendar. Review the next 30 days of your calendar. List anything you need to prepare for, such as purchasing gifts or birthday cards. Planning ahead can help ease nagging thoughts that you’re just forgetting something….
- Complete one home repair. Select the thing in your home that needs to be repaired most and fix it this weekend or call a professional to do so. Prioritize as best you can.
- Find a home for 10 things. Identify 10 items in your home that look out of place or take up a lot of space, then find a new home for them.
What’s the one organizing project holding you back from having a fresh start this year? Use the hashtag #ClearTheClutter on Twitter to join the conversation and share your cleaning frustrations and tips.
For help with heavy cleaning projects in your home, contact ServiceMaster Clean in Wichita, KS, at 316-219-9696.