If an emergency situation should happen, you want to be as prepared as possible. One of the best ways to prepare for the unexpected – especially as we head into storm season – is to keep an emergency kit filled with essentials.
The goal is to be prepared for three days. Share these ideas to help your friends prepare their own DIY emergency kit.
- Water. This may be the most important item to have available should disaster happen. You want to have at least a gallon per person per day for three days, and not just for drinking, but for sanitation, too.
- Food. Have at least a three-day supply of non-perishable and ready-to-eat food.
- Flashlights. You don’t want to be left in the dark – literally.
- Radio and batteries. It’s always useful to have a battery powered or hand-crank radio, along with extra batteries for your radio and flashlights.
- First aid kit. Include personal medications, bandages and gauze, antibiotic ointments, pain relievers and medicine for upset stomachs.
- Sanitation. Keep some moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties in your kit and have a few dust masks to help filter out contaminated air.
- Tools. Get a multi-tool that has a pocket knife, wrench, pliers, a screwdriver and a can opener.
- Communication. Finally, make sure you have a battery pack or solar charger for your cell phone. They come in all varieties and can help you keep in communication with family, friends and emergency crews.
Keep the contents of your kit in a plastic tub or container to ensure it’s all in one place when you need it. And in case of emergency, you’ll be glad it’s there.
If you need help with storm damage cleanup in Wichita, Hutchinson, Derby or Winfield, Kan., be sure to call us at 888-GET-WINK. We’re here for you 24/7/365.
Source: ServiceMaster Restore YouTube