close button
Residential Floor Care
Commercial Estimate
Duct Cleaning

Advice for homeowners after fire damage

Fire_Inside_GarageAfter a residential fire, there are steps you can take to minimize additional damage and costs. If fire should strike your home, follow these tips:

  • Do not attempt to wash any papered or flat painted walls without consulting a professional cleaner. Incorrect cleaning procedures could compound the soot residue problem.
  • Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture. Again, incorrect procedures could increase damage.
  • Do not use electrical appliances that have been close to fire or water before having them checked. They could malfunction.
  • Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. A short circuit could result.
  • Do not touch anything. Soot on your hands can permeate upholstery, walls and woodwork, causing further damage.

Source: http://www.servicemasterrestore.com/Tips/